!!!!!

Science!!!!! :)

Friday, February 4, 2011

Seismic Activity in Orange, California

        Near the town I was born, Orange, CA, there is quite a lot of seismic activity.  Orange is a rather small town, so I first looked for it on a map, and the nearest major Californian city was Los Angeles, so I researched for earthquakes/seismic activity in Los Angeles, rather than Orange (I didn't get many results when searching for the second.)     I found a map recording the earthquakes noticed in the past week, and I found 16 - all ranging from 1.0 to 3.0 on the Richter Scale.  My map also recorded the past days, too, and I found that there was an earthquake with a magnitude of 1.5 at exactly 2:04 PM (Californian time) yesterday. 
          I also researched about why there are a whole bunch of earthquakes in California, and I found out that LA is located on the Pacific Ring of Fire.  This ring has caused many faults/fault zones, such as the San Andreas, Elsinore, and San Jacinto fault zones.   Parts of California are directly above the borders between the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate, which explains why there is so much seismic activity there.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It's amazing that you can just look up a city and find out to the exact minute when and if an Earthquake occurred and the magnitude of it. Good analysis of the data and research that you found to explain why there is so much activity.

    ReplyDelete